Tuesday 13 July 2010

Movie critic martyrdom, and why it's bad for the industry (and humanity!)

I'd like to speak a moment about something I find quite troubling. Something quite childish.

I've noticed a large group of people are going to see movies, either with the preconception or certainty before entering the cinema, that they hate. People who are seeing films that they despise - people seeing bad films (Note: I don't mean enjoyably bad films, I loooovvveeeee me some Troll as much as the next guy) knowing full well they won't enjoy them. Why do they do this? They do it to justify their hate. These are not critics who have to watch these poor productions; they are just harpers.

An example: People who see the Twilight ironically. These people will pay money in order to view a film for the sole purpose of knowing that they were right, and that the series is bad. They're not seeing it hoping they're wrong and thinking they'll find some enjoyment out of the film, nor are they seeing it to laugh at how bad it is. They choose to torture themselves, simply so they can be the voice of criticism. I am troubled by this for two reasons:

1. It is giving money to bad filmmakers. This is similar to how countless numbers of people watch reality TV knowing it's bad, but watching because they seem to enjoy knowing "stupid" people watch the show, and seeing how "stupid" people are entertained. A Mitchell and Webb sketch commented on this, with the terrific line "they still show up the same in the ratings". We should not encourage mediocrity.

2. People do it so they can complain. Let's be honest here; people love to complain. We do it about everything; our jobs, work, our friends, food, the human race, entertainment, celebrities, sports and literally everything else possibly imaginable. It may come from the fact that people enjoy fighting, or more importantly, we enjoy winning fights. However, fights are now pretty hard to come by, and complaining is sort of as close as we can get now. It's a one sided fight; listing the faults of something, and being smug when you get through the list. Complaining will also eventually lead to meeting someone with a differeing opinion (a Twilight fan), leading into a fight ("FINALLY!!!" I imagine is what most complainers would tihnk).

It would be a mass understatement to say I don't care for the Twilight brand (in fact I feel it to be one of the worst things to happen to art in its entirity in a while), so I don't see the films. I'm guilty of complaining about them, but my dislike for the series doesn't require me torturing myself; I know I won't like the films, my experience with the books has left me breathless with confusion and uncomfortable itching. I'm not going to reward the makers of Twilight for doing this to me, why would I?

I'm just going to carry on complaining when in actuality it's probably not fair to do so. If you've got a problem with that, we can take this outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment